We used Henry #587 White Roof Coating to paint it. The inside is noticeably cooler and it doesn’t go above ambient temperature even in the hot afternoon Sun!
We painted the observatory.
We sanded off the oxidation and then painted on about 5 coats of an elastomeric, high titanium oxide roof paint. We just got the dome back on Wednesday and the only thing left is to put the dome to building gasket back on–but we’re going to give the paint one more day to cure first.
We also made a new door gasket to try to stop the rain from getting in. We used pipe insulation. It fits well, but I’m not sure if it is going to be tough enough. If it falls apart quickly, we’ll find something else. If it lasts a 6 months, then we’ll just replace it as necessary ($2 each time …).
Right now, it is sunny and 85 degrees outside, 84 in the observatory. Before we painted it, it would have been over 100 by now! SUCCESS
For six months at a time, a small pinhole camera set out at our astronomy club’s observing site recorded the path of the sun. You can see by the arcs on the image that we have a lot of sunny days around here. Gaps in the solargraph indicate when the Sun was obscured by clouds. This solargraph is a Winter to Summer Solstice record.